The development and implementation of STEM (Science,Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)-related workforce initiatives rank among the Metro North REB's top priorities, comprising a key component of the REB's comprehensive 2009-2012 Strategic Plan. With the goal of serving as a catalyst to generate new interest and partnerships within the Metro North region, the REB has developed a wide range of STEM initiatives that include:
- Hosting a series of STEM-related forums designed to galvanize business-school partnerships and educate and inspire local youth to pursue STEM-related education and career paths;
- Establishing the Metro North STEM Partnership, a consortium of over thirty local industry and education representatives who serve to guide the REB's efforts in supporting effective, sustainable STEM programming throughout the region;
- Cultivating strong representation from STEM industries on the REB's Board and Youth Council;
- Collaborating on the development of training curricula, articulation of career ladders, and design of staff development curricula for STEM education; and
- Working to increase the number of STEM-related summer job and internship opportunities for youth throughout the region.
In addition, the REB has developed an online resource containing information on some of the most effective and well-established STEM-related programs in the region. Through this effort the REB aims to support the creation of business-school partnerships, and to provide selected resources and practical information to support those partnerships. We encourage you to view this resource in the pages that follow. If you have any comments or suggestions for additional information and resources to include on this Web site, please contact us.
Click here to download a one-page overview of the Metro North STEM Resource.